Sidney Sheldon: An Obituary
How do we pick up the habit of reading thick book? Start with Sidney Sheldon.
My first encounter with Sidney Sheldon's novels started at the reading room of a big library. To relax, I had picked up 'Rage of Angles' oblivious of the author and his antecedents. I got hooked and still am. The last one i had encountered was 'Nothing Lasts Forever'.
What was is about Sidney Sheldon that got readers enthralled. Christopher Reed of 'The Guardian' has eloquently pointed that Sidney's novels have a heady mix which were about " ...fast and furious tales, usually featuring gutsy women in danger or in love...". Most of his readers were women
A man of many talents, Sidney Sheldon had attained fame in Hollywood and in Television before publishing his novels. Sheldon was in the Guinness Book of World Records for the greatest number of languages into which his novels were translated, and more than 300m copies were printed. A complete list of his work is listed below.
- The Naked Face (1970)
- The Other Side of Midnight (1973)
- A Stranger in the Mirror (1976)
- Bloodline (1977)
- Rage of Angels (1980)
- Master of the Game (1982)
- If Tomorrow Comes (1985)
- Windmills of the Gods (1987)
- The Sands of Time (1988)
- Memories of Midnight (1990)
- The Doomsday Conspiracy (1991)
- The Stars Shine Down (1992)
- Nothing Lasts Forever (1994)
- Morning, Noon and Night (1995)
- The Best Laid Plans (1997)
- Tell Me Your Dreams (1998)
- The Sky is Falling (2001)
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? (2004)
- The Other Side of Me (2005) A Memoir
Sidney Sheldon was 89 when he breathed his last, but his work will always open the world of books to whole lot of young readers.